Monday, September 27, 2010

House Party

After moving in for over a year, JJ and I finally decided to invite frds over. Not that the house is all fixed and all tidies up, but we know that it’s simply not going to happen any time soon so we might as well have a party now cos otherwise, it’s just not going to happen.

Most of the ppl were my frds. There’s no way to fit both JJ and my frds together in one party with our little place. I was the one who wanted to have a party anyway so naturally, my frds got invited. haha…

There were a couple last minute cancellations and also a couple no shows. It was too bad for the ones who were sick but for the no show ones, I have to say that I didn’t miss them much. I am quite confident to say that it was them who missed out on the good food and company, especially bcos I don’t intend to hold parties too often. It may be a few years after this before I feel like hosting parties again. Well… at least for my group of frds anyway. Maybe JJ will invite his frds over some day.

For food, we roasted a whole pig. It was a lot of work for us cos we basically have to start the day at 6 in the morning to go get the pig, have other food ready, setting up tables and chairs, cleaning the house some more and other preparations. But since we started so early, we were actually in pretty gd shape by 3pm so that we have two hours of break (of course, during the break, we still have to go ‘take care’ of the pig every 15min or so) before ppl start showing up.


Picture courtesy to Rachel.

We’ve decided to do a pig bcos it’s something fun and different, at least for me Chinese anyway. Most of the Chinese gathering I’ve been to are either HK style BBQ or pot luck, or even hamburger/hot dog kind of BBQ. JJ and I have never cooked a whole pig b4 and we were glad that the pig turned out to be quite good. Nice and tender. It’s certainly worth the effort.

We also had salads and buns and snacks. Since a few of the guests asked if they need to bring anything, I told them to bring dessert/fruits if they really felt _compelled_ to bring food. I didn’t want everyone showing up with desserts and fruits cos then there’d be like 10 desserts/fruits dishes. And as I was betting on, some ppl did bring fruits/dessert and it was just perfect. =)

Overall, I think that the party was pretty gd. There were a couple of ppl who didn’t seem to enjoy themselves but they were the odd balls. They are simply not engaged. Even when I tried to talk to them, they didn’t have much response. If they didn’t want to enjoy themselves, there was nothing that I can do and it wasn’t my fault if they didn’t have a good time.

The only problem was that it wasn’t exactly cheap to do a roast pig, especially bcos we have to rent the equipment. And JJ and I had to buy quite a few minor things (other than food) to ensure that we won’t get rained out, or when the sun sets too early or if there were too many bugs. That’s probably part of the reason we won’t do this every often. haha… But then, those extra things are reusable so next time we do it, it won’t hurt our banks that much. In any case, it’s worth it if everyone enjoyed themselves. Now that I’ve opened my house once for party, I’ve fulfilled my job and ppl can’t ask me all the when I’m going to invite them to my house anymore! wahahhahahaa…

2 comments:

vics said...

The pig looks like a statue...

You had a HOUSE WARMING PARTY when I'm not there?????????????????????????????????????????????????

oily oli said...

係呀,特登hau你唔喺度呀嘛.