Friday, July 26, 2013

半天吊

Work has picked up its pace recently. Keeping me quite busy.

A few little projects were started and then put on hold half way thru for various reasons. And then my supervisor ended up scrambling around to get me work on some other projects in order to keep me occupied.

I am worried and I know that all these little things that are hanging around right now will come back at the SAME time. And they will come back when I’m super busy with other projects. And to make it worse, I’m sure that by the time they come back to me, I will have forgotten every little details about them already and I will have to scratch my brain out trying to remember what has been done and what was left undone.

When things where put on hold, I was required to stop immediately, no matter what the state of the project/analysis was. This makes it difficult to pick it up again cos I could be in the middle of a multi-steps analysis and all the intermediate files may not be very well named and such. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to tidy them up before leaving them alone cos all the time and labour has to be ‘chargeable’ (i.e. charge to a project). When things are put on hold, you are not allow to charge any more time to it in order to save the budget for later when things starts up again. Altho this logic doesn’t make sense to me (cos if I stop right the way, yes, no more time is charged _right now_. But if I don’t spend that little extra time to clean things up, it’s going to end up costing more in the future when we start things up again cos all the files are a mess and it will end up taking longer to pick them back up, not to mention more prone to errors if the wrong intermediate file is used.), that’s just the way the company (or the industry) operates. All I can do is to try my best not to have alzheimer.

Frustrating, yes, but not much I can do but to cross my fingers that they are not going to come back to me all at once.

No comments: