Thursday, August 6, 2009

Moving Soon

Moving in two days. Have been going to the new place almost every night after work to fix this and fix that and clean this and clean that. Have also been packing and moving stuff over bit by bit so that me and my helpers won't die on moving day.

I don't know how come I seem to own so much stuff now. Have been packing for a while and still seem to have a lot more at home. Seems like a never-ending task.

Once we moved to the new place, hopefully, there'll be no more threats of flooding. In our current walk-out basement. The patio door is a little sunken. And the drains there are always blocked by leaves n crap. A few weeks ago, when we had the big storm at night. Even though the storm didn't last too long, JJ and I were out in our PJs with buckets and recycling bins to bail water away like a maniac, trying to keep the water level below our door. It was like a little waterfall from the upstairs balcony to our sunken patio. It was kinda fun but we were freezing to death.

We bought a rain barrel and a compote box. A very environmental friendly household!! :] wahahhahahaa...

We are hoping that in a few years, when we managed to conjure up enough money, we will install some solar panels to our house to further reduce the amount of energy consumption. Oh and skylights, too. I love the idea of skylight but I don't know if the extra opening's going to increase the energy consumption in terms of heating lost from the house. Have to investigate further. Also thought of installing the geo-thermal heating system but that would be SUPER expensive and with the size of our backyard, I'm not quite sure if it's even feasible.

So, starting next week, I will have to do super long commute. Sigh. That's the price that I hv to pay for living in that area. Since I am so against driving, I'm trying to figure out a way to get up to R.H. without killing myself. Have thought of riding my bike one way per day and the other way I'll take the transit. But that means that I have to be able to lock my bike in a secure place over night. This is not a problem until I move office cos right now, I put my bike in the equipment area of the office (don't even have to lock it). But once I moved office, I am not even sure there'll be bike rack. Sigh.

Another option is to take transit part way and then cycle the rest. I have to switch from TTC to YRT anyway. If I cycle half of the way, then I also save the cost of part of the trip. This is actually more economically sounding cos then I only need to purchase one metropass/YRT pass instead of paying two different kind of fees. Wow, I just realized that as I'm typing. Gd point. Maybe this is the way I should go for. The question is whether I should cycle in Toronto or in RH. Probably should be RH cos 1. Metropass is cheaper, 2. roads are wider up north and hence a little safer. Then the next question is how I'm going to take my bike with me to the start of my cycling route? I doubt that I can take it on the subway during rushhour. I know that TTC have these buses with bike rack in the front now but I'm not sure if every bus on those routes have them. If not, then I might have to wait for a couple of buses before I can get on. Another thing is, if I take the bus up to the start line, buses are usually very slow with way too many stops. It's going to take me forever to commute to work. sigh...

I guess I'll just take the transit for a few days to investigate the bike rack situation on buses and to get a gd sense of how long is the bus ride before I'll attempt my hybrid commute.

In the winter though, I will have to do both section in transit. Going to be a pain in the ass.

Weather forcast is predicting 15-20mm of rain on moving day. I so wish that they are once again wrong about it..........shit...................

1 comment:

vics said...

erm. yeah I was gonna suggest you can go half way up by bike and then the rest by YRT.... I was thinking.. maybe you can park your bike at Son Wong's if it's nearby your work place....

But then I don't know.. hahhahaaa...just a thought.