Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Post Race Report

I've made it.

750m swim - 30 km bike - 7.5 km run

in 1 hr 59 min 30 s

I was quite happy that I finished in less than 2 hours.

It was a pretty small race bcos it was in a city in the middle of nowhere called Welland. So basically, anyone who was in the race are either living in the Welland-Niagara area, or they are the hardcore athletes who do multiple races in the series. So odd balls like me n JJ, who for our own reasons wanted to do this particular race, were quite rare.

I overheard a girl in my age group talking to another guy saying that she's going to do this, this and that race this summer and is going to go to nationals (and of course the guy was also doing multiple races). JJ overheard another person in his area saying the he's going to do the time trial to go racing in China. We were like "what the hell". Racing alongside these hardcore ppl. So I got 7 out of 15 in my age group. Probably means that I'm pretty gd, right? Right? (making excuse for myself)

I was telling JJ that in the race in Toronto that I was in a couple of years ago, there were always those slightly non-fit ppl (we jokingly called them "fatties" doing the race so there's no worries. We shouldn't try to follow the fast ppl cos we would run out of gas too soon and won't b able to finish the race this way. But as we actually got to the venue, we realized that _we were the fatties_ in this race. Orz.. great...

In hindsight, I think that I could have swum faster but I was too worried that I would run of of energy that I went really easy on the swimming part. Wasn't even out of breathe when I came out of the water. But I hv to say though, the running part was hard for me but I am pleased that I didn't walk at all. The funny part was that during the run, I passed these 17, 19 and 20 year old girls and maybe one or two guys that were in that age group while I was in turn being passed by those 40, 37, 45 or even 53 years old. Felt so proud of myself when I passed these young ones while feeling totally ashame when I was passed by the oldies!

During the award ceremony, the announcer announced the winner of the age group 50-55 (or something like that) and the time was 2 hours something. I was totally happy and turned to JJ and said to him "hey, I beat this person!" JJ looked at me and said, "but she's fifty something years old". and I said, "o...right....." I was so dumb, probably bcos there was no more oxygen in my brain at that point. I wish I could still do a triathlon when I'm in my fifties.

There goes the self challenge of the year. Without this motivation, it's going to be hard to stop eating ice cream and other junk food....

PS. we've taken some pictures. Will upload them when I have time (which is like never! ha).

1 comment:

Janet said...

7/15, 中間人wor, 勁啦, 哈哈