Tuesday, November 16, 2010

人情

Heard that there are a lot of weddings recently, especially my frds in HK. To the point that they were saying that 潮流興結婚. I agreed that there seems to be exceedingly lots of weddings these days but I think that it’s mostly bcos we have reached the right age so that the ppl around us are getting married so it feels like it has become the trend.

Luckily, I myself don’t really have lots of weddings to go to. Only one this year. Well… it should have been three but I couldn’t go to two of them in HK. And there was also this one that happened during my time in HK but I didn’t really get invited and it happened on my dad’s bd so I didn’t go. I actually wanted to attend these weddings but anyways. My frds are also complaining how expensive it is to go to all these weddings since they have to do 人情.

It reminds me of my conversation with 小笨's parents a few months ago. They told me the current 公價 of 人情. I was surprised by it. First, I didn’t know that there’s actually a 公價. I just thought that there’s general range of amount that ppl give out but I didn’t know that there’s an _official_ 公價. Second, I think that this 公價 is surprisingly high. No wonder my frds complained about the number of weddings they have to go to. And I’m also embarrassed a bit by some of the 人情 that I’ve given out previously. Apparently, I was below 公價.

No wonder I heard from some of my 八卦 frds that so and so “made money” from their wedding and such and such, as if wedding has become a way to earn money. Weird. But really, why is there a 公價? I just think that you should be able to give out whatever you feel like giving depending on either your current financial situation or your relationship with the bride/groom.

I actually like receiving wedding gifts. Of course, there’s always something that you don’t quite like among the gifts. But that’s why there’s wedding registry to help. But it seems more personal this way rather than business-like. Wedding really is just about inviting your family and frds to witness and celebrate your happiness, the start of your new life with the other person. Why attach a monetary value to it?

3 comments:

vics said...

When did you talk to my rents??

Well.. it's not like a hard print 公價 when they say 公價...it's more like.. the norm the rest of the society would give..... below which you should be aware that you might be (a) humiliated behind your back (b) publicly humiliated (c) embarrassed esp. when you hear how much the other guests give...... I think it's just a way to conform to the society....

personally though.. i have been trying to stick to the lower limit.... as best as I can... of course if it's closer friends.. then I might want to help them out a bit by giving slightly more..... I prefer giving gifts too... but then you never know if they'll need it... and my friend put a knife set on her wedding registry once.. and I thought about buying it... at the end my other friends told me that I shouldn't get them knives..... I didn't see why there's a problem if they had asked for it.... but they said IF something happens in the future.. I wouldn't want to be the one who have given them the knife set... so yeah... so at the end... money is easier....

But yeah.. the generally accepted price is kinda high.... but if you think about the price of the meal..... it's probably around the same.... so in reality.. you are just paying for your share of the wedding meal......

oily oli said...

Last time I was over at your house to watch World Cup la. They were saying that they have to go 去飲 that night ar ma and that you n your sis weren't invited. haha...

vics said...

Actually..... we were somewhat invited.... (at least my dad thought so la...) my sis and I just made up an excuse not to go.... 同人o地又唔係太熟....見過一兩次...去到好奇怪....