Saturday, November 27, 2010

People in the Office

I’ve got to say, it’s hard to fit with them. I’m limited to the people in my team here. Other than my direct super, the rest of the people are the kind of ppl who are really gd at small talks, really gd at chit chatting with clients, or among themselves.

Sometimes, I even found it disturbing when they talked to each other in some non work-related stuff like SNL and prolonged period of time. Even with headphones on, I find it hard to block out their conversation (especially bcos I don’t like turning on my sound volume so loud that it would damage my ears and I found that loud sound (whatever it is) distracting anyway).

My colleagues are also gd at chatting my boss up, which makes sense to an extent cos they have worked there for a few years so they better have a gd relationship with my boss. But looking back at me, I kinda feel like I’m 唔合群.

I also think that the current working place has a lot more politics than the old place. In the old place, probably bcos of its small size, all of us small potatoes were quite friendly to each other. Our one common enemy was our boss (or sometimes, our clients! haha). But now, it feels like ppl are wearing masks. They seem kinda fake sometimes. I don’t know if it’s just my misperception or what. They could be perfectly fine with boss and all joking around and laugh and stuff but then when boss is not around, they talk behind his back a little. In a way, this is understandable cos everyone do have to put on a face when facing your boss no matter how much you dislike him. (well… actually… I have been 黑面 to my old boss before and my tune of speech to him sometimes was a bit 悔氣 when I was really upset. ) But to be totally friendly buddy buddy with someone but turn around to have another face, I really can’t do it. The best I can do is to be polite to the person I don’t like.

They are also quite gossip-y, I found. They like to talk about ppl in the other team or in the other office. This and that and this and that. Drives me crazy. Not only the females, the males are also always gossiping, too. 好似一班八公八婆咁. I mean, maybe it’s a gd thing to know all these 人事關係既嘢. Maybe it’s a very important business skill to have to be able exchange info, but I am really not that interested. Sometimes, I found them very unproductive cos they can stand around and talk about stuff like that for what feels like a long time to me. There was this one time when this guy talked to my boss about this situation. What I think should take about 2min took them 15-30 min. What a waste of time, especially bcos they seem to like to go around and around and around in circles about the same thing over and over again. 長氣又chum氣.

I also dislike the way some ppl talk. Say person A and B. A expresses his point of view and B basically agrees what A said but instead of saying
“I agree. Let’s do it this way.”
B would say,
“Ya, I totally agree with you, especially bcos blah blah blah and considering the fact that la la la la… (5min later) So ya, what you said makes perfect sense to me and I cannot agree more on this issue.”
你 agree 就 agree 囉,反正大家都 agree, 咁就唔駛講哂所有既 pros and cons出黎啦,仲要有時d論點都好無謂吓.明明兩秒就可以傾掂既嘢,係都要拖到咁長,好煩啊大佬.

The bottom line is, they all seem to be nice ppl, really. But just not the kind of ppl whom I can 傾得埋.Especially ppl who gossip. I really want to just keep to my ignorant own little world and don’t want to know about other ppl’s business. All I want to do is good work. I’m not HR. I don’t care about all these other stuff. But maybe bcos of this exact attitude and the lack of 交際手腕,I’ll forever be doing whatever I’m doing right now instead of easing my way up to the better position. Oh well… if it is, then let it be. If that kind of skills is required for higher position, then even if u let me do it, I probably won’t do a gd job anyway. Might as well let the one who has that kind of ‘ability’ to do it. My belief is that 老細俾錢我返黎係做嘢架,唔係返黎吹水,我收咗錢,就要有d好貨交出黎先得,如果唔係, 我會覺得自己好似厄錢咁.一日到黑又話自己忙,但又成日喺度傾偈嗰d人,唔知想點.要傾偈請麻煩行遠d,唔好嘈住我做嘢得唔得?

No comments: