Friday, February 25, 2011

討厭的 Password System

The work IT system forces user to change their password every 3 months. Very annoying. Cos it’s so hard to remember all these passwords. Has to have both letter and number and have a certain length. And it also imposes a further restriction of not allowing users to reuse their password that were being used into last 3 times! That means, I can’t have just two passwords and rotate between the two.

On top of that, there’re all these little modules of online ‘tools’ at work that require password. Eg. Time tracking, personal health, training, performance management etc. Although these tools are all on the intranet, they were probably developed by different software teams on different systems so they have different login and password. Sometimes the login is the email address, some times it’s your user name and sometimes, it’s just whatever you picked yourself. How am I supposed to remember all these? Also, in the beginning, to simplified matter, I use the same password for all of them. However, since they are on different system, change my password on the workstation login doesn’t change the password on the others. Some of them doesn’t even have password expiration. Therefore, the passwords for the various tools became out-of-sync eventually. Some of these tools are only used once a year or very rarely so I can’t even remember their existence until I need to use them and by then I’ve forgotten their password.

Argh… This is driving me crazy!

1 comment:

Anna said...

same here. i felt this v annoying too. Me also required to have capital letter and small letter too...

In the end I have to write on the paper as I see I can't get them right just by remembering in my head.