Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Definition of Cheating

Read a stupid article on msn webpage before about a survey of what kind of action do ppl consider as cheating on your partner. I don’t really agree with the results of the survey but it does show show me how bad ppl’s moral values are these days. Some ppl only consider having sex as cheating while kissing, or some other physical contact is not. Some ppl are a little more conservative and thought that kissing was the start of cheating.

But really, what if your other half goes out with another person on a date? Does it count as cheating?

I have been wondering about this issue ever since one of my frd got cheated on (in my opinion) while the cheating person claimed that whatever he/she did didn’t count as cheating. Bascially, he/she went out another person while he/she was still in the previous relationship. He/she claimed that it wasn’t cheating bcos ppl do go out with the opposite sex from time to time. Being in a relationship does not mean that you are not allowed to go out with ppl of opposite sex. He/she got a point (although I still consider that as cheating) but where is that fine line?

Suddenly, I think I know the answer.

Cheating is basically the loss of integrity. It’s not defined by a specific behavior/action that once you cross that boundary, you would be considered as a cheater. But rather, I define it as something you would not/cannot tell your partner before you do it or something that you would not do in front of your partner. Not to say that you have to tell your partner every single things but if in your heart you do indeed feel like you can tell your partner without 隠瞞 whatever you are doing, then I guess it’s not cheating.

In another word, if you can tell your partner that you are going out with this other person and you have no problem telling your partner everything that you guys have done or will do, then it’s not cheating, even if you guys are going to kiss or whatever bcos your partner do have knowledge of it so I don’t consider it cheating. But if indeed, you are or have kissed this other person and you tell your partner, even if it’s not cheating, it’s at least not respecting your partner cos you basically 親口話俾佢知你俾緊綠帽佢戴.完全既唔尊重.唔算係 cheating, 只係完全既輕視呢段情.

This is my definition of cheating. What’s yours?

No comments: