Friday, December 31, 2010

Julie & Julia

Hv heard gd things about the movie and finally watched it on about a month ago. OK wor. Quite enjoyable. I personally like the Julia part better cos the Julie part is a little frustrating sometimes.

Watching the movie made my mouth watered. Wanna eat/cook some French food!

Meryl Streep’s part was a pleasant surprised. The first time I noticed that was in The Devil Wears Prada. Needless to say, that movie didn’t make me like her too much. The 2nd movie was Mama Mia. Didn’t like it too much either. Her interpretation of the character was not my cup of tea law. Felt too 做作. It might not all be her fault. It could be the problem of the director also. I watched Mama Mia for Colin Firth anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

But in Julie & Julia, Meryl Streep surprised me. I didn’t really know who Julia Child was so 詹占 found me some old clips on YouTube. Turned out that Meryl Streep did a very very gd Julia Child impersonation. The way she talked and the way she moved.

I personally didn’t care too much about Julie’s side of the story. I found Julia a lot more interesting.

Another point to note is that the guy who played Julia’s husband, Paul Child, was also in The Devil Wears Prada. I looked up his name, Stanley Tucci. In Devil, he played a SUPER gay fashion designer. I liked both of his characters in the two movies, which is funny, cos I usually dislike those SUPER gay fashion designers. I’m not homophobic but I just don’t understand how come those ppl always have to be _that_ gay. There’re lots of gay guy out there who doesn’t have those sisi gestures and attitude. Even girls do not act like that. I’m longing to see some male fashion designer who is not gay or at least does not act gay.

Anyway, off topic. The point is, somehow Stanley Tucci was able to portrait characters that I normally dislike into someone that I actually kinda like. Good job man, good job.

It’s pretty refreshing to watch a good 小品 type movie without all those special effects and crime fighting and ppl dying. More human, less magic. I like it.

No comments: