Friday, February 13, 2009

Romantic Places

Lots of article online these days that talk about the top 10 most romantic blah blah blah cos Valentines is near. Romantic dinner, romantic getaway, romantic date, romantic gifts and the list goes on and on. One the them is romantic places. I've read two of those articles and it seems to me that the authors have weird tastes.

One of the authors said that the water dam in 長江三峽 is romantic. Oh come on, how's that romantic? The other said that the 鐘乳洞 is romantic. I found most of the places they mentioned on their list not romantic, while some I don't even know where they are. Maybe 係我孤陋寡聞吧.

The other thing that surprised me was that both of them thought that Niagara Falls is one of the most romantic places in the world. I personally really don't find it romantic. Maybe bcos I live in Toronto and have been there multiple times. But I do know of someone who also lives in Toronto but who went there for romantic getaway with the significant half TWICE. Not once, but twice. It seems pretty weird for me. The only reason I could think of is that it's 就腳. The authors did mention that many ppl choose there was their honeymoon destination and even wedding destination. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's true. But why? I still don't understand. I guess it means more sense for ppl who don't live in North America and Niagara Falls would be an exotic place to them.

Another popular choices for romantic places is Paris. I guess a lot of ppl would agree on that. It's branded the City of Romance afterall. Been there once and didn't find it remotely romantic. The touristy parts are quite nice but the non-touristy part felt like a dump hole to me. All I can remember was how dirty their subway was. I hope that they have improved since then.

A frd of mine told me that my cycling trip to Wales was rather romantic. I couldn't disagree more. Being out of breath and cursing the steepness of the slope all the time and got soaking wet and while some parts of your body were freezing half to death while the other parts were sweating like a pig and stepping/cycling over sheep poops from time to time is definitely not something I would call romantic. Not that it wasn't a great trip. I love it and would still choose to do it if I have to do it all over again. But just don't find it romantic. I think Wales could be a romantic place, but not by doing a cycling tour.

Different ppl's idea of romance could be VERY different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No. Paris' metro is definitely still like before. If you are talking about the touristy route, I have just been on that tonite. Long story short. I still think my first impression of Paris was correct.. the metro does smell like cow dung in there.. but Paris isn't exactly known for its metro system... (certainly not known on the good side especially with their non-handicapped friendly corridors and pee-smelled stairs.)..but I guess you can call Paris a romantic place if you are an art lover, with all the museums and theaters and all the night life. Compared to TO, there're certainly more to do...

It really depends on what you find romantic la... Niagara falls could be romantic if you reserve a fallsview jacuzzi king bed room during off-peak season. I mean, other than being a tourist trap, it's still one of the "7 natural wonders of the world"...

McDonalds could be romantic too just all depends on how you look at it ka jei.

Anonymous said...

oh man....haha, i think Niagara is romantic ga....esp the on-the-lake region:P