Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mini-Vaca

Was quite nice. We didn’t have much of an agenda so we mostly just wandered around, looking at shops and such. Even tho I’ve been to Quebec City a couple of times, we still managed to find some spots which I’ve never been to before.

We totally lucked out on the weather. Sunny everyday while we were there and most of the time, not too too hot, as long as you stay in the shade.

Had one fancy dinner on the first night. And some non-fancy ones after. I was surprised that we didn’t eat as much as I thought we would. Probably getting too old, stomach and appetite shrinks.

The expected huge bonus we’ve got out of this trip was that there were two free things at night. One was a 3D projection show that got projected across the river to the huge industrial buildings. The content of the show was… er… not so good. It’s some sort of history of Quebec/Canada from the old days to the modern days but it’s little too artsy with little context so it’s quite hard to follow. I am glad that I’ve taken my citizenship test recently so that I can put some of the things into context. But I really wonder how much does the non-Canadian tourist could get out of this show. The show was long, too. About 50min. We stayed for about 20-30min. It wasn’t too 3D but it was quite impressive to see such a large projection. And it’s free so I try not to complain too much.

On the other hand, the 2nd free show was AWESOME. It was an outdoor free Cirque du Soleil show. It was almost an hour long. Tons of ppl came out. I mean, you have to stand for an hour and all that but it was great. It’s nice of them to do free shows. I wonder if those performers were newbies who aren’t quite gd enough for the real thing yet so they give them this free show as a training ground. It doesn’t matter tho cos they are pretty gd, other than this one guy whom I’ve noticed that he failed twice. Apparently, they do it through the summer so if you happened to go to Quebec City this summer, make sure you don’t miss out this free show!!

There were also all kinds of street performances. And Elton John was in town! Not that we went to his concert but we did witness the craziness of all those ppl who lined up before noon out in an open area under the hot sun in order to get a good seat for the concert at night. Pretty insane. I wonder how many ppl had heat stroke.

Pics of the trip ma… have to wait wait. Since I’m still in the process of finishing up the HK trip and I’m busy with the youth camp pictures these days as well… Really don’t know when I’ll get to this one. =_=

Oh oh… almost forgot to mention. Flying Porter is quite nice, especially the Toronto Island lounge. They give you free water, coffee and juices, as well as almonds, short bread cookies and some other snack while you are waiting for your flight. And nice couches to sit in. And newspaper available for you to read. Felt like a VIP! ^_^

Waiting for the ferry to cross was dumb tho. The other side was so close. I was telling 詹占 that I could probably swim over there faster than waiting for the ferry.

The plane itself wasn’t that special. My seat on the return flight actually kinda sucked. There was some sort of crumbs on it cos they didn’t have time to clean the cabin.

It was definitely nice to be able to get to Quebec in an hour tho, without the ten million pee breaks in the case of a car ride. I just regretted it that I didn’t eat more of those free snacks in the Toronto lounge cos there’s no lounge on the Quebec side, just the regular old airport. It was also relatively easy to get to, without having to taxi or park-n-fly and all those hassles. Will consider fly Porter again in the future.

No comments: