Monday, August 29, 2011

My New Toy

My 3-yr cell contract is finally going to expire in end of Sep. I hv been waiting for it for a while since my phone has been abused by me so much that it can no longer connect to the blue tooth in the car anymore which poses a big problem cos I don’t want to break the law.

Instead of waiting till the end of the contract, I decided to went to shop for a new phone last Thur. I didn’t want to wait till end of September cos I could be too busy by then.

Took forever to get a new phone tho. There was only one person working at the time and there was a customer in front of me. The saleperson was having a heck of a time to activate the phone for the other customer. She also had a hard time doing mine as well and hence forever^2.

I ended up staying with my current wireless provider., which means that I could have renewed my contract and get the new phone 6 months ago. Oh well… not really that big of a deal cos waiting till the end of the contract enabled me to shop around different providers. It wasn’t like my old phone wasn’t working anyway.

One annoying thing of staying with my current provider is that some of the deal that they offer only applies to new customers. I was like ‘what the hack’. Shouldn’t they treat returning customers nicely as well bcos we have been loyal? It reminds me of the bank commercial:

I was so not impressed by the fact that I didn’t get the phone for free even tho I signed up for another 3 years but have to pay $50 for the phone. It doesn’t seem fair to me.

So which phone did I get? The first smart phone in my life is:

Nexus S.

Yea… I didn’t want an i瘋 cos the fact that so many ppl have it and the number of ppl think that owning an i瘋 is a fashion statement annoys me.

I’m been pretty happy with my new toy so far. I don’t really care too much about those little games that one can play on a smart phone anyway. To me, it’s more important to have a keyboard so that I don’t have to press a button 3 times to type a ‘r’ in my text msg, as well as the ability to use WiFi/Data that appeals to me.

One thing tho, is that the battery doesn’t last too long (compared to my old phone) even if I am not actively using it. Have downloaded some app that apparently helps elongate the battery life. I’ll see how it goes.

Finally saying goodbye to my ‘dumb’ phone!

One little extra story. As I was waiting for the sale girl to work on the system to renew my contract, 3 little boy the age of 10 at most came into the store and one of them said, “Hey, look! That’s your phone. Nexus.” Turned out that they came into the store to look for a protective case for one of the boy’s Nexus. I was like, “Oh wow… a 10 year old has a smart phone…” Kids these days are so privileged. I’ve seen a little 1-2 year old playing with an iPad while still sitting in his/her stroller. It seems so wrong…

No comments: